Friday, October 18, 2013

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh BOY!

Ten years ago, I would have told you if I had two boys and wanted a third child I would most assuredly adopt and make certain it was a girl!  I used to hear all kinds of stories from my aunt who has three boys very close in age that terrified me. 

Ten years ago, I had no idea where life would take me and how God would change me.  I had no idea that baby boy #1 would come after years of tears and empty arms and would be the labor of my heart.  I had no idea that baby boy #2 would be an unexpected surprise pregnancy just months after bringing baby boy #1 home.  I had no idea that baby boy #3 would be the pregnancy we were not planning on!

A mother of three boys, that is what I am going to be...in just a few short weeks!  And ten years later my aunt has successfully survived three boys with two of them in college and the third in high school.  And I am thankful and grateful for my third son who likes to kick me in the ribs and I am getting anxious to meet him.

Am I scared to raise 3 boys...not gonna lie, I am.  Do I think I may not be able to do it...some days.  Is my life going to be chaotic and crazy...yes.  Is this the biggest BLESSING of my life...undoubtedly, YES!

Through all of this I have learned to be a much more laid back parent.  I'm convinced this is the only way to raise boys...without going crazy.  I can't let the little things bother me; some days we go through three outfits because of playing in the mud, dirt and puddles, sometimes (like tonight) we eat cereal an hour before dinner (because growing boys are always hungry), bugs will be brought to me, tortured and usually smooshed, forts will be constantly built out of cushions and pillows, and my house will ALWAYS be dirty.

I take a few deep breaths and I am okay with all of those things.  They are disciplined and taught to obey but I refuse to have war over every small thing.  There are those who adamantly say that just because they are boys is no excuse for misbehavior...I totally agree...and tell me again how many daughters do you have, haha.  

There are moments I hold in my heart that make it all worth it, like when they come to me with their hands behind their backs to proudly give me a dandelion or clover they picked for me.  I never thought I would put dandelions and clovers in vases...but I do. 

Everyone tells me it will be gone in the blink of an eye and before you know it the last one is leaving for college.  So my prayer is, Lord help me to be the best parent I can and enjoy the little moments.  Can I get an amen?!



No comments:

Post a Comment