Friday, January 20, 2012

Washing Dishes

As I mentioned in an earlier post we moved this summer from a 6 year-old townhouse in a nice development to a 150 year-old stone house surrounded by farm land.  There have been many adjustments moving from a new home to an old one.  While there are many advantages like the big yard, the nice view, the 3 car detached garage and the deep windowsills, there are also many disadvantages.  Well, maybe not so much disadvantages as inconveniences.  For starters no central air, no dishwasher, wallpaper (yuck), one teeny tiny bathroom (that has no outlets), very few electric outlets, green blinds (yuck, again), squeaky stairs and the list goes on.  

The thing I was absolutely dreading the most was not having a dishwasher.  HONESTLY, washing dishes is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I can not believe I am saying this!  I think it is almost therapeutic for me.  We keep dirty dishes to a minimum and I wash after every meal.  I actually have a nice deep ceramic sink and I even have a window to look out while I wash.  I didn't have a window above my sink in the townhouse.  It's quite amazing how sometimes things we are dreading the most can be full of surprises.  I think I knew it was just something I have to do and did it without complaining, and now it is simply habit.

Even though there are a lot of things about our home I would like to upgrade and improve, all I have to do is look around and see how much I already have.  A roof, a warm bed, plenty of food, a bathroom, running water, heat, electricity and the list goes on and on.  There are so many people who are in want of those very things in the world, in our own country, in our own town.  

Medic hubby and I have done quite a bit of traveling.  We have seen first-hand the poverty that grips people in it's clutches.  We have seen dirty, poor children so happy to receive a piece of fruit and a drink.  We have seen people live in shacks with no running water.  It is difficult eye-opening things to see and to absorb.  The memories of these things make me happy and thankful for the things I do have.  It is only by the grace of God that I am in my 150 year-old warm house and not hungry and cold somewhere else.

I challenge you give thanks for the things you have and remember the ones in need.  Give freely and give greatly, not just of your money but of your time, talents and love.

Little laugh:  I got my hair cut and styled today & I love it.  It is shorter & the hair stylist curled it for me.  I come home and get my oldest son up from his nap.  He looks at me and says "mommy, what did you do to your hair!" he touches it and says "take it off" and then he starts giggling.  In fact, I could hardly get him to use the potty as he kept touching my hair and giggling.  I was starting to get concerned, but my husband assured me it was very nice it just looked different.

Positive proverb:  "One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty."  Proverbs 11:24

No comments:

Post a Comment